(VICT) Re: showing traffic signal buttons

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:12:51 -0400

I hope that no one minds me jumping in here an suggestions some alternatives to
use to teach button finding and pushing.
I use a number of items:a disk shaped lid or cut out, a staples "easy button",
a round touch light, a round dimmer switch, baby food jar lid, a door bell
button, a child's toy push button, an actual button with symbol.

You could also teach this at the sight of a traffic signal button if you know
one that has no or very low distractions to start the teaching.

I teach this button pushing behavior for assistance dogs and find that the find
and push behavior is usually generalized easily.  So I start by having the dog
target my hand, than raise criteria by putting the disk, button or other item
in my hand and have the target it.  Than I put Velcro on the back of the item
and on a wall (or a 3m removable picture tab) and put the button or item on
walls doors polls etc and practice with the dog by giving the cue and
rewarding.  I will than go to my local shopping centers, YMCA, etc, and
practice first by standing very close to the real button and reward for
successful behavior and than back up one step and repeat cue and reward and
than two steps, and so forth.

I do this building to greater and greater distances.

This is a quick, short description but I thought my experience might give some
ideas and thoughts to meet the teaching situation.

Great thread and topic...thanks
Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life whole"
~D.L.Shotwell
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
~Anatole France