(VICT) Re: questions from a friend about her guide dog

  • From: "Christy Hill" <care4k9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 12:30:54 -0800

> I have a guide who is now retired but definitely trained
> under older methods who doesn't respond all that accurate to
> clicker training and a current working guide who has been
> trained with the clicker and food reinforcement.

        Any dog can learn to be conditioned. That is what clicker training is,
based
on classical conditioning. The three formulas that have to fit into place are:

1. Timing
2. Rate of Reinforcement
3. Criteria

          Any training problem is solved by the formula above. Yes, it does
take a
little longer for a dog to learn that they can be shaped, but I would have to
see how
you are training your dog to see what three above that needs to change. Many
dogs who
are cross over dogs need a lot more reinforcements. Most dog trainers, even some
clicker trainers are stingy in their reinforcements. I learned this when I was
fortunate to attend chicken camp with Bob Bailey. I trained a chicken through an
obstacle course and learned the real meaning of reinforcements and how to get
the
behaviors I want.

            Now criteria is also important. Work on one thing at a time.
Realize that
a cross over dog has to gradually learn how to learn. They need to learn that
it is
ok to do something and explore. You do this by a lot of clicks and
reinforcements
sooner than you would a clicker savvy dog. I had a pup that I grained form
clicker
and a cross over dog, eventually he cross over dog, with time and patience with
me
and learning how to click with chickens, that I got my cross over dog to shape
a lot
nicer than my pup that had been clicked since puppy hood.

             I say this very tongue and cheek, but it was a lesson I had to
learn
myself, it is a trainer's issue, not the subject issue. All subjects can learn
reinforcements and learn to be conditioned to do a behavior. It is the trainer
that
needs to learn their basics and to reach that dog. Remember, you go in steps at
the
dog's pace, not your pace. Learn your student well and know when to go to the
next
criteria and keep those rapid reinforcements going.

Christy