(VICT) Re: questions from a friend about her guide dog

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:28:22 EST

EVERY TIME THE DOG PULLS TOO HARD.. STOP.
hER GOAL IS TO GET HOME, BUT HER HANDLER NEEDS TO DETERMINE THE RULES FOR
HER TO GET THERE. IN THIS CASE , THE RULE NEEDS TO BE A SOFTER PULL. ANOTHER
IDEA MAY BE THAT the dog sees getting to the house as the end goal, complete
with dinner too! I would suggest having her work PAST her house and then
return.. if the pulling becomes too hard then walk past the house again..until
you
get a softer more controlled pull.. not an , im excited and i cant wait to
get home, are we there yet type of reaction.. She may need to be dilligent on
this also for a while.. We have to remember that we are the ones who make the
rules for the games that we play with our dogs that most others call"work".
grin

Sandy