(VICT) Re: escallator travel

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:55:44 -0700

Kitty,

I only had limited experience with escallator training with one of my dogs,
but I found it the neatest thing I had ever seen. When I went back to get
Primrose, and because I now have some balance issues, I did not take the
training.

It is my feeling, however, that if the dogs do not learn how to place their
feet carefully, they can get their paws cut and caught. I know GDB resisted
doing this type of training for quite a long time because they felt it was
dangerous. Because of our BART system in the Bay Area, many students
insisted they must have that ability because, as you said, there are times
when you must enter in a certain area where there are no stairs or elevator.
I would say that you might seek further training for you and your dog to see
whether she will be willing to get on an escallator again as sometimes, once
they are injured like that, they won't be willing to return.. I don't know
if there is any information on how often injuries of this nature occur,
though we were told that unless we used the escallators regularly and often
to keep up the skill, it would be something we shouldn't do as without that
continued experience, it would not be safe.

I hope your dog's paw is doing fine. It may well be that the stitches are
itching her, making her want to lick and bother her foot. Hopefully, she
hasn't bothered the healing. Good luck with all of this.

Dianne and Primrose