(VICT) Re: Task ideas- Feedback?

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 16:07:28 -0400

Dianne & Primrose wrote:Don't you think, however, that most people who become
good handlers learn to
think outside of that box by the nature of experiencing life and, of course,
by learning from other top notch handlers?<<
Yes, for the most part I agree with this post. However, I think those that do
not do public access depending on their dogs, often do not have an accurate
understanding of what "out of the box" may mean to those partnered with an
assistance dog.

I have been partnered for almost two decades and I am sighted, but still I
encounter challenges (opportunities) for the first time that are unexpected and
requires creativity and thinking out of the box.

I too would use positive reinforcement with traditional training during the 25+
years of training before I learned about OC.  Not knowing what I was doing it
was by far not near as effective as it is since studying, understanding and
practicing the principals of clicker and operant conditioning.

For me even the mind set was an important part of my transition.  I use 'cue'
and not command, and teaching in place of training.  This helped me in my
crossover from traditional in tone of voice and how I approached my sessions
and planning...  I am sorry I am drifting from the point....

I agree that creative people tend to think out of box with most projects they
approach.

Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life whole"
~D.L.Shotwell
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
~Anatole France

All posts are considered copyrighted by the author. You must get
permission from the poster before forwarding.