(VICT) Re: Pulling or not pulling

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:11:21 -0800

Hi Christy
I'm sorry about Mickey. I hope he heels quickly.
Most blind people who are ambulatory that I know use the halt with front
feet up on the curb to let them know about curbs. I just train my dogs to
find the curb meaning find the curb cut entrance and then following on
through without stopping. On the downcurb however we do halt for traffic.
From my understanding the blocks are more for urgent scenarios or with
people who where backing up quickly would cause them to go off balance due
to other disabilities.
For me its not really safe to use a block if we are actively moving. Thane
could be run over by me then. If we are already stopped and getting ready to
go and someone speeds up carelessly Thane has blocked then if I am really
ready to take off because its impossible for him to use the signal we use
for emergency stops when he is already stopped. For us we use a hard halt.
Its kinda like the difference of putting on one's car breaks and slamming on
one's car brakes. A hard halt is slamming on the brakes. It works well for
us and worked well for Met and I.
The key is for me with the combination of deafblindness to make sure how we
handle things doesn't interfere with other training. For instance not to use
the same approach for work in harness as you do for hearing alerts. That way
you can always differentiate them. I can't use nose nudges or anything like
that in harness due to both his position and my loss of sensation, but we
have a system down good anyway to prevent any confusion on my part.

Karyn and Thane