(VICT) Re: Outside

  • From: "Ginger Kutsch" <GingerKutsch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:45:49 -0400

Hi Dar,

Thought I would jump in here from my usual lurk mode!  I've actually been
"lurking" off and on for years when time permits.  I enjoy reading Ann's
helpful advice about clicker training and that of others on this list.

Anyway, Glad you are having such a great time with clicker training. In your
post you said, "while sitting in our back yard, and I am letting Goldie run
around I would
click and he would come."  If, in fact, you are saying that you are using
the click sound  to get your dog to come to you, rather than calling him
first and then clicking when he arrives, I thought I would caution you
against that.

Using the clicker sound to get your dog to come or to distract it from
interesting things can eventually cause problems.

It's very tempting to use a click sound when we see how quickly our dogs
respond to us when they hear that noise. But in reality, if we continue to
use the click over and over again to "call" our dogs, we will eventually
teach our dogs the behavior of staying away or looking for distractions
rather then teaching the behavior of coming.

For example, when I let my dog out back, she likes to watch for the
squirrels or birds that are often perched on our privacy fence. If I clicked
while she was watching a squirrel, even if my intent was just to "call" my
dog, I would inadvertently be reinforcing the behavior of squirrel watching,
not the  behavior of coming. Sure, she might come to get her treat, but the
only thing I am teaching her is to watch squirrels.not a good thing for
guide dogs! LOL!

I have found that it's always helpful to be thinking, "what am I
reinforcing?" This way I can  be sure to only click for behavior I want!

Good luck,

Ginger