(VICT) Re: I clicker

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:47:37 -0400

Hi, Dar,

The mechanical clicker is a good thing to use when your dog is first
learning about what the click means, and it is good to continue using the
mechanical clicker when your dog is some distance away from you, such as
when he is running around in the yard.

But once the dog understands the meaning of the click, you can switch to
making a click sound with your tongue.  It works just the same as the
mechanical click; the dog knows that it means he has done what you wanted
and has earned a treat or other reward.  And it doesn't require a hand to
use and doesn't cost anything, and is always within easy reach, and never
gets lost.

Can you make a distinct clicking sound by pressing the flat of your tongue
against the roof of your mouth and then sucking air *in*?  If you can't make
that sound--and some people just can't seem to get that one--then you can
use the type of clicking sound that people use to immitate the sound of a
horse's clip-clopping hooves,where you raise your tongue to the roof of your
mouth and then slap it down to just behind your teeth.  Whichever sound you
choose, your dog will become accustomed to the sound and will recognize it
as the same as the click made by the mechanical clicker.

Hope that helps.  Sorry you are having so much difficulty getting your
clicker.

Ann