(VICT) Re: Help with this step on retrieve

  • From: care4k9@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:22:39 +0000

    Hey Karyn,

      Ah thank for the claification. Actually a lot of dogs have a problem with
rthe hand needing to be on the object.

     I actually would recommend the same thing I did in my previous message,
just slightly different.

     It seems that he is looking at your hand as a "cue" to pick up the
opbject. I would keep my hand there, then next time, have just one finger
touching the object, then your hand with 1/8 of an inch from the object then
1/4 from the object etc. So you are fading away the "cue" that prompts him to
pick up the object. Evnetually your hand will be out of the picture.

       Retrieving is a lot of steps, more than we think and I agree with Paul
that you have to keep the dog happy and up doing this. No time to be an
emotional training during this training.

       Good Luck!

Christy

--
Christy Hill