(VICT) Re: Clyde and a guide harness

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:34:18 -0700

Hi Ridge is it a leather harness? Some of it may be the total difference in
it. Some though as Rox mentioned could be the martingale. Being in a
wheelchair a martingale is usually necessary. Met's first guide harness was
leather too but without a martingale. I made a martingale strap out of
webbing. I sewed it around the main strap and then used heavy duty velcro
for it on the front. The strap just went under the front strap of the
harness, up over it and velcroed down on the webbing. It worked great until
the velcro wore out but cheap to fix.
I wonder if that type of martingale would be better for you guys. Rox'E
mentioned the harnesses from On the Go also which might be a better option
for Clyde. If you are attaching a handle also right now, you might want to
back up and leave the handle off. Let him get used to walking in the harness
body itself. If you can't visually tell if his gait is normal with it, maybe
have someone watch you guys walk to see if it could in fact just not be a
perfect fit for him. Hope some of this helps.

Karyn and Thane