(VICT) O_T Good bye my Judson

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:20:42 -0400

I wrote this tribute to my Judson, my first guide dog and a cross over =
dog.

I miss him terribly.

A Tribute to Judson

=20

Born: November 12, 1998

Died: July 23, 2011

=20

=20

=20

     Judson, was first and foremost my Guide dog, my first Guide dog, =
but he was also my friend my protector, my confidant, my comforter and =
space heater on cold nights in college.  Judson taught me me things =
while I was working with him, while we were partners, things I still =
remember and use till this day.

      I remember like it was yesterday, though now is eleven years ago, =
when I went into the library at Guide Dogs for the Blind, with the empty =
leash hoping to meet this mysterious dog that they wanted me to work =
with.  I couldn't wrap my mind around the name Judson, what kind of a =
dog name is that, and how am I going to handle a Golden Retriever and =
all that hair.  Is this guide dog thing really for me.  Mark came in =
leading Judson, a large, beautiful, reddish gold dog, who promptly =
walked up to me, held out a paw, gave a huge sigh and then layed down at =
my feet.  I was kind of surprised, and asked if this was normal, Mark =
said it was for this dog.  And that was when I got my first lesson from =
Judson, whenever possible take a nap, or as we called it in later years =
the "We stop, he drops off to sleep" procedure.  Smile.

     Judson taught me about trust, patience and persistence when he and =
I would work together.  On our first night route, a trip from the bus =
through San Rafael to the lounge, something I had never liked doing =
since I was a small  girl, as I couldn't see after dark, I had to for =
the first time put my full and complete trust in him as a guide.  And he =
didn't let me down.  He walked confidently guided me to the curves, =
guided me to the street crossings and we made it to the lounge.  He only =
made one mistake, he knew where we needed to go, but I wasn't quite sure =
and thought he was wrong, but he was right (usually the case) and when I =
got to the lounge I gave him a huge hug.  That started our partnership =
that lasted for seven years.  In that time, Judson gave me the courage =
to go away to college eight hours from home, for me to get the courage =
to volunteer for and get paid for a job I truly loved being a tour guide =
at campus, with Judson of course as secondary tour guide,   O.k. so the =
customers liked him better, smile.  And even to travel to big cities, =
and places that I would never dream of doing coming from small town =
Corry.  With Judson by my side, we traveled to New York City to see =
several broadway plays including Beauty and the Beast (he didn't like =
the fireworks), Chichago, Rent (where he defended me against a homeless =
guy who wanted to knew who had the guide dog), and Les Miserab, (Where =
Judson thought the cannon fire was real, and the bells they used in the =
opening song were going to attack him.)  We walked through Central Park, =
went to Ground Zero, and walked in the Macey's Thanksgiving Day Parade =
(where of course he thought all the cheering and clapping was for him =
alone, not that guy called Kenny G. on our float or that guy called the =
Mayor, but for beautiful Judson, and pranced down that route with =
pride).  He went to Washington D.C. with me, toured the White House, and =
didn't get arrested for peeing on the lawn, he did have to go, after =
all.  We traveled to Seattle to a conference where I presented my first =
time, and he discovered that sea otters are in his mind strange water =
dogs, I think the sea otters were thinking he was a strange otter.  We =
went to New Orleans, and went to Bourbon Street, nope the dog did not =
drink anything and we avoided the puddles.  I never dreamed I would live =
or work in a large city.  My dad says that Judson traveled and flew more =
miles than most people dog in their life time and I know I wouldn't have =
done all that traveling without my guide.  I knew if we got lost or =
stranded I wasn't alone, there were two of us to figure things out.

     Judson lived with me through a lot of changes in my life, from my =
first time away from home for a long period of time, when I went to =
Kutztown University, an eight hour drive from my home, to my adventures =
in graduate school in Kalamazoo Michigan, using buses on a regular =
basis, and my internship in Ohio.  From loosing my grandfather, finding =
out what my visual impairment was and the other medicaland health =
problems I had in college.   And finally my first job, in Boston, =
Massachusetts, where thankfully although I had never learned to use =
subways, Judson knew exactly what to do and waswilling to teach me.  My =
mom and dad were confident I would be o.k. in all of these adventures =
because I had Judson beside me.  He was a truly good judge of character. =
 If he didn't like someone he would give that person dirty looks and =
would growl under his breath, just enough to let me know what he =
thought.  He also wouldn't let someone he didn't think was good or safe =
pet him.  So if you were allowed to pet him you were a good person in =
his book.

      Judson also took fame in stride.  He was one of the canine stars =
on a Nature program called Dogs the Early Years, ended up on Fox =
Philadelphia as a canine Tour Guide Dog, and CNN for the same, and he =
appeared in the Kutztown University passbook, advertising the College of =
Education.  He also received an Certificate of Service from the College =
of Education for his efforts recruiting new students, volunteer work and =
therapy morale in hard times such as during September 11, and when one =
of our classmates died in a car accident my senior year.  He also wore =
his own cap made especially for him by the College of Education on =
graduation day in 2004.

      Judson also was my assistant in my teaching.  With my fifth =
graders he was a willing ice breaker to get the students talking, =
students would come approach him if they had problems.  With my sixth =
graders he helped me teach them science concepts such as physics (heavy =
dog will exurt pressure down on human attempting to hold him up, while =
human struggles to exer equal amount of pressure to keep dog up in air), =
English, we did an essay called "What would Judson do?" and patience in =
hard times.  With my visually impaired kids, he taught them, that dogs =
can be friendly, and safe and good friends.  He taught one young e lady =
who was away from home for the first time that it was o.k. to be scared =
that there were always friends in strange places, and to properly throw =
a Frisbee.  He taught another girl from Haitie that dogs are friendly =
and they don't have sharp claws like cats do.  He taught another student =
that perhaps a guide dog might be partner for her someday, and that =
trust is allowing a new person to brush your teeth with the handler's =
supervision of course.

     He also taught me persistence.  He was usually correct in the route =
we should take but would be patient while I figured it out.  He would =
try to get me to play ball with me instead of doing my homework, after =
all all work and no play made Judson a dull dog.  And he taught me =
unconditional love, working I think several more months after he no =
longer truly enjoyed the work, but because I dependend on him.

     Judson retired on August 12, 2007, and has enjoyed a long and happy =
and well deserved retirement as a pet with my parents.  He tolerated my =
second dog Guinevere and welcomed my third guide Ludden into our home.  =
He tolerated and understood me when I was on crutches after breaking my =
ankle, was willing to go for slow and careful walks with me to rebuild =
my strength and flexibility in my foot.  He loved his fetch and =
retrieving games.  And every morning as Judden my current dog, and I =
went off to work, I sewar he thought, "have fun you sucker, you have to =
go to work, while I sleep in, ah, the life."

     But the years of work took their toll.  Judson's left hip could not =
support him anymore, and his right wasn't any better.  He was getting =
tired, wasn't playing anymore, showing interest in food (he was a alarm =
clock you could rely on when he was younger) and he couldn't get up and =
do the things he wanted to.  On Thursday, he was not able to get up to =
get water, and tried very hard to.  We knew it was time.  Yesterday, he =
slipped away peacefully to Rainbow Bridge, where I know he is swimming =
in the clean clear river under the bridge, playing fetch with the =
children there and rolling in the grass with his pals Shadow, Lindy and =
all the dogs who have gone before him.  I know he is free from paink, =
allergies, aches and pains and I know he will be waiting for me at the =
Bridge when I come there someday.  I miss you Judson, there is a whole =
in my heart where you used to be, but I know you have left me in good =
paws with Ludden.  I love you dog, my partner, my guide and my friend.  =
You are a reflection of God's love, after all dog backward is God.  Be =
free.

=20

Shelley L. Rhodes, M.A. CVRT
and Ludden black Labrador Guide Dog.

Diamonds may be a woman's best friend, but a dog is mine.