(VICT) Non-verbal cues-ideas needed.

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:05:52 EDT

Hi all, I have been off list for a bit because of a new neuro disorder. In  a
nutshell, my breathing and vocal cord functions are out of sync and it makes
me have a hard time breathing because my vocal cords cut off my breath in
mid-breath and I make sharp noisy wheezes every 1-3 seconds. It also chops up
my
 talking because of the sudden need to gasp. Probably it is related to my eye
 spasm disorder but they arent sure. The "reset" mechanism in my brain isnt
working right for either problem.. anyhow, that leads me to my next
question..one of the treatments they are discussing is to   partially paralyze
my vocal
cords. This will mean that I cannot talk or  will have some difficulty
talking. Since the drug is only temporary, it will  have to be repeated every
few
months for the rest of my life..causing the voice  issue each time. It is scary
though because if I react with swelling like I did  when they used it around
my eyes the last time, it can be life-threatening..we  are going to try a trial
run on my bad eye on Monday..

Do you all think it would be possible to retrain Alex with some non-verbal
cues? What cues do you use verbally and do you have any ideas of how to cue
them  non-verbally?

I am trying hard to maintain my optimism and humor but it is damn  hard..
At this point I would choose being non-verbal to the incessant difficulty
breathing and the noise ,embarassment of the stridor. People are downright mean

sometimes. I have been ridiculed and demeanedthe past two weeks by the
public,my  coworkers, my primary care Dr, the ER nurses/interns and the public
on
busses and trains...Public Ignorance is hell for the person who knows what is
happening but cant control their own body. I finally told one person, who
nastily kept asking me why I kept making that noise and that it was creepy.. "I

cant control it and thanks for your show of compassion!".. I hope she stops
and  thinks next time she is so rude and insensitive. Then again, I am losing
my
 faith in humanity.. cynicism is setting in..

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-