(VICT) Dog refuses to move.

  • From: Melinda Rauch <mrauch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 08:02:49 -0500

Hi Martha,

Melinda and Smokey, My Mellow Fellow here,

I'd get this dog to the vet asap.  That just doesn't sound right to
me, and I wonder if the dog is experiencing pain or some other medical issue.

Do you know if the dog has always been like this?  If it has, I'd
also wonder whether or not it is happy guiding.

Since this dog knows about the clicker, why doesn't your friend try
click and treat when the dog moves forward, even if it is only a step
or two.  If this works, your friend could build on it over time, and
maybe things would improve.

But, as I said before, the first thing I would do is get this dog to
the vet for a complete checkup, including blood work and possibly
x-rays, to rule out any medical issues.

Tell your friend good luck from us.

Take care, and be safe out there!

Your friends always,

Melinda and Smokey My Mellow Fellow and April, now our angel dog.
mrauch@xxxxxxxxx