[vagueware] is less really more?

  • From: verbose@xxxxxxxxxx <verbose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vagueware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 02:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

"It's not a job. Nobody is demanding anything of you. This is supposed to be
fun, remember?"

of course somebody is demanding something of me: myself. also, i would rather
like to have the illusion that i'm useful, or that my ideas have been helpful.
so in that regard i need to feel that this mailinglist in general and you,
paul, in particular, are "dependent" my input to some degree.

otherwise there is no motivation.

i just don't want you to think that i slacked off, or that i'm a flake.

"Hell, it's my site and I haven't touched it hardly in months."

i find it wierd that you keep saying how its "my site" this and "my project"
that. even though you are the main guy in this and we all credit, like and
respect you, the moment you started taking sugestions and accepting
collaboration, the project grew its "ownership base".

to sum all this up again: 1.-i feel this is my project too and 2.-since i feel
that this is my project, too.. then i hate myself for not giving more time to
it.

"Funny you should mention locking. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it to
be honest. I'm thinking I might need to sit all the articles on top of a
version control system and stuff. Messy. Needs thought before I start to code
it."

word.. locking rocks.

"As for the mind/concept-map stuff, well, I'm currently thinking of playing
with this guy's code:

http://www.walterzorn.com/dragdrop/dragdrop_e.htm

and building on it. It's multi-browser, doesn't need any plugins and everybody
who sees it goes "cooooool....". :-)"

i dunno. it looks pretty primitive. i'm looking at something more like
mindmanager. it can be done. at first i thought "flash", but no.. i'd rather go
with xml, 'cause even if its not widely adopted yet, it IS an open standard.. so

anyway, they way the concepts would link would sort of work like this:
http://1337.radioglobal.org/node.swf

"but what do I want people to think about when they go to vagueware.com?"

i guess that's just for the people to define. i mean, it would be cool to have
some "sticky" content there, but.. i'm not to worried abuot the site. for now i
believe in infrastructure more. there are a lot of ideas i could do in
vagueware the way it currently is, but i know that if i work to improve the
system, the rewards will be worth the wait.

"OK, again, we're falling into the traps of specifics. The point is, multiple
abstractions should be possible."

"But yes, many abstractions, lots of metadata, we want it all!"

well, since i work with graphics, interfaces and design. i want to work on the
spec and code for the "graphical" part of vagueware.

i think multiple abstractions are fine, but.. i think we should only focus on
like.. 4 main abstractions. and what i mean by abstractions is like.. four
basic ways of showing the wiki, each one succesively stronger in terms of
graphics, editing, interactivity, etc.

one thing that i think we should keep in mind when we say "multiple
abstractions" is that some abstractions work better than others at certain
things..

the wikipedia article on "collaborative software" points this out; there are:

a)*communication tools* (fax, email, voicemail) which are more like one-to-one
and pretty much are connection-dependent in the sense that you have to log on,
its not instantaneous, etc

b)*conferencing tools* (mailinglists, irc, netmeeting type "whiteboards", im)

c)*collaborative management tools* (electronic calendars, project management,
workflow, knowledge management)

so in other words.. its no use trying to have irc function like a mindmap or
checking your email through your workflow profiler. if you want to try out
funky pipes and crossformat exportations like that, then that should be done
through plugins and extentions.

and so if these abstractions are going to be sort of numbered, then i propose
that the flowchart should be a part of that. since some articles (say, about
the best way to make a sandwich) *will* need flowcharts, and not so much
mindmaps.

"What I don't want to do is analyse existing groupware solutions too much,
because they all, quite frankly, suck."

that's right, they all suck.. but ouf of each, at least one good idea must
stick out, and it'd be cool if vagueware had all of the cool functions without
any of the sucky ones. but then you say "they're too many"... well probably
some of the functions are actually put toghether by other functions, like
legos. so you build a "groupware primitive library" so that if someone wants
their project to have a specific groupware function that doesn't yet exists,
they can use the parts to piece it toghether.

alright, i gotta go to sleep

-carlos