[vagueware] Re: Progress update

  • From: Paul Robinson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vagueware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:27:09 +0100

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:22:33PM +0100, Peter McGarvey wrote:

> Perhaps you could add a page to VagueWare listing some links.  Then we
> can see what people are saying.  Get inside their heads as it were.  And
> perhaps then some direction can be discovered.

Yup, good idea. I considered automatically doing this, but loads of porn
sites are spamming my referrer log as well, so I need to just go through
them all.

By far the biggest number of refferers came from my activity on
kuro5hin.org in July. I aim to ramp this up some more once the new spec
if polished off a bit.

> I vote for Ruby too.  PHP gets very messy very quickly.  But mainly my
> reason mirror yours.  And RubyOnRails looks exciting.  But then he who
> implements it decides the language....  I'd only add Perl to the menu.
> So best not ask.  :-)

No, Perl isn't a choice for core*. Of course the intention is to develop
a core with lots of hooks hanging out by way of SOAP and XML anyway, so
you'll be able to build the tools that hook into the central core
content framework in whatever you want, with the "standard" versions
being in the core language.

I intend to do some prototyping over the next couple of weeks to see how
hard life is going to be with Ruby, if at all. The fact that it is as
simple to use as Smalltalk and is as powerful as Python/Perl makes me
think it's a strong choice.

> I'm currently writing a rambling blog on what I think... because I need
> to write a fecking essay to workout what I think - it helps me
> brain-storm.  I'll mail eventual thoughts around in a bit.

No, you need some good brain-storming tools to help you brainstorm. On a
FreeBSD box grab hnb out of ports or pkg_add and see if it helps. Trust
me. :-)

> I agree.  IRC is great for "I'm not sure, explain quickly", mail is
> great for debate.

... and wasting time. :-)

* - let me explain as an adjunct why Perl isn't a choice for core. Perl
is great as a glue, terrible for application development. The main
reason is that maintenance of somebody else's Perl is horrible to do and
Perl scripts over a couple of hundred lines become complicated for most
amateur hackers to understand. The failing is partly Perl's fault, but
as it is so good at what it does, it is also partly the fault of
humanity that Perl is hard to maintain.

--
Paul Robinson

http://vagueware.com/
"The key to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Einstein