[vagueware] Re: Progress update

  • From: Peter McGarvey <xaphod@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vagueware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:22:33 +0100

* Paul Robinson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004-09-29 14:41:09 BST]:

> As you can see, we still have a few days left in September and yet
> despite being left to its own devices, it took more page hits than
> throughout the whole of August. We're getting linked by a lot of sites,
> and the referral log is full of people saying good things about the
> idea.

Perhaps you could add a page to VagueWare listing some links.  Then we
can see what people are saying.  Get inside their heads as it were.  And
perhaps then some direction can be discovered.

> I'm currently thinking about developing it in either Ruby (it's quick,
> easy and even amateurs can write reasonable code in it) or PHP (which
> half the planet knows it seems). At the moment I favour Ruby, but
> that's because I've never done any serious coding in it and it looks
> nice.

I vote for Ruby too.  PHP gets very messy very quickly.  But mainly my
reason mirror yours.  And RubyOnRails looks exciting.  But then he who
implements it decides the language....  I'd only add Perl to the menu.
So best not ask.  :-)

> I also need to think about what VagueWare is actually going to be about.
> Do I want to reel it in to just ideas relating to technology, or do I
> open it completely up to anything people are interested in? We played on
> the current site with fiction, debates, software and hardware ideas, and
> if we're honest, it has become confusing. I say we either take it
> strongly in one direction or strongly in the other. I'd be interested to
> hear thoughts on where to take it.

I'm currently writing a rambling blog on what I think... because I need
to write a fecking essay to workout what I think - it helps me
brain-storm.  I'll mail eventual thoughts around in a bit.

> So, that's where we are - in a bit of a mess to be honest. What I'd like
> to see is more discussion here on the mailing list for ideas. IRC is OK,
> but doesn't allow for structured response. So, thoughts please when you
> have time. :-)

I agree.  IRC is great for "I'm not sure, explain quickly", mail is
great for debate.

--
TTFN, FNORD

Peter McGarvey