[vagueware] Re: Progress update

  • From: verbose@xxxxxxxxxx <verbose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vagueware@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:32:34 -0700 (PDT)

dear dudes,

guilt has set in big time. i'm currently writing this from work. i've got a new
job that pays better and leaves me more free time. i was helping my girlfriend
out with a couple of her projects and now that's done.

yesterday here at work i polished on some of my wikipedia articles. and it felt
terrific. its been such a long time since i've felt so much freedom.

i've also been thinking a lot about vagueware and a lot of what paul says
really resonates with me. i KNOW i said i was going to rewrite/add/polish/etc
the roadmap. but i haven't had much time. and actually, yesterday i DID have
like 4 hours for myself, but i wasn't in "do vagueware mode".. i'm gonna be
honest, but i need to decompress. there's been a lot of work lately and i can't
just go from "work worry work work" mode to "damn, this vagueware idea is
coming along fine". in spite of being very enjoyable, vagueware puts certain
stresses on you that are hard to re-adapt to. you kind of feel more commited to
it, and you also feel on the spot. like you better not fuck up 'cause a lot of
people are watching this.

"I'm trying to make sure I still have a paypacket coming in after 31st December"

definetely.. we all have to eat.

"I'm currently thinking about developing it in either Ruby (it's quick, easy
and even amateurs can write reasonable code in it) or PHP (which half the
planet knows it seems). At the moment I favour Ruby, but that's because I've
never done any serious coding in it and it looks nice."

i've always wanted an hook up an interactive svg front end to it, for the
mindmaps. so as long as it can do that, and as long as it can support multiple
simultaneous editing (with locks)...

"I also need to think about what VagueWare is actually going to be about. Do I
want to reel it in to just ideas relating to technology, or do I open it
completely up to anything people are interested in? We played on the current
site with fiction, debates, software and hardware ideas, and if we're honest,
it has become confusing. I say we either take it strongly in one direction or
strongly in the other. I'd be interested to hear thoughts on where to take it."

i've been giving some thought to this too. i think that it kind of depends on
the template to be used. another thing i thought about was that mindmaps
weren't enough. you need two things: mindmaps and flowcharts. flowcharts are
very necessary, and i don't think they'd needfully be more difficult to
implement. but that's way in the future. for now, i'm more interested in like..
documenting all the functions that existing groupware solutions do. i want to
see which functions are necessary, which aren't, and which build on top of
other functions. finding this out, you can pretty much start getting the gist
of what kind of modularity is needed for a vagueware. you know, you can just
set up "groupware primitives" the same way 3d graphics programs have sphere,
cone, box, etc.

actually, i just took a look at ruby on rails..
<<http://educational.blogs.com/instructional_technology_/2004/08/ruby_on_rails_a.html>>
 and it seems pretty fucking cool. i'll read more on that later. paul, i hope
you don't mind if i keep swamping the list with just reports on things i find
valuable. at least it motivates me to write and to keep adding/polishing ideas
and recommendations.

"So, that's where we are - in a bit of a mess to be honest. What I'd like
to see is more discussion here on the mailing list for ideas."

ah, there we go.

the thing is to not let the lines of communication wither or whatever. i lack a
lack of interest in vagueware. yeah...

i'm gonna be skimming through this in the next couple of days (starting when i
get home)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaborative_software

by the way, i got loaned this ftp site.. and i can put a mindmannager document
up there, that contains what i've collected so far. i don't know if this is a
valid solution. i think i remember mindmannager being able to support multiple
simultaneous editing.. i'm not sure, tho..

you guys tell me what you think

-carlos