[va_co_birding] potential web page format (was: Texas Ornithological Society promotes county listing)

  • From: "C. Michael Stinson" <cms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:29:54 -0400

I still think it's worth doing without having to list every species for
every observer in every county on the web site.

The problem with showing "what birds are where" is that such information
isn't particularly helpful without some sort of frequency data attached. But
lists (life lists, state lists, county lists...) give you only simple
"presence-absence" information. I have Black Skimmer on my Prince Edward
list (and Mecklenburg, hah). Are there Black Skimmers in Prince Edward
County? Heck no, not unless there was a hurricane in the past few hours. But
if you don't watch out you end up trying to produce a vetted annotated
checklist for every county - too much work.

Maybe there's a middle ground between 'just numbers' and 'complete checklist
with spatial and temporal distribution data'?

CMS

va_co_birding is hosted by FreeLists. To change your settings or unsubscribe,
visit www.freelists.org  To post to the list (subscribers only), send email to
va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx