[va_co_birding] Re: potential web page format

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 14:44:29 -0400

C. Michael Stinson wrote:

>The problem with showing "what birds are where" is that such information
>isn't particularly helpful without some sort of frequency data attached. But
>lists (life lists, state lists, county lists...) give you only simple
>"presence-absence" information.

Yeah, I know but numbers are just numbers.  They don't have much meaning
except in the listing world and not very many people care about that.
Just us weirdos.  Besides I think most people would be able to figure
out that a Black Skimmer in Mecklenberg isn't exactly a common
occurance.  I think a bigger problem with just having lists is the time
frame.  You need at least the year of the sighting to determine if there
has been a change in species range.  This is a huge data gathering
effort and I just don't have it in me though I think it would be
worthwhile.  Further discussion is warranted, I'm sure.

>I have Black Skimmer on my Prince Edward list (and Mecklenburg, hah).

As I do on my Fauquier and Prince William lists.  I shoulda hit more
counties that day!

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org

va_co_birding is hosted by FreeLists. To change your settings or unsubscribe,
visit www.freelists.org  To post to the list (subscribers only), send email to
va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx