[va_co_birding] Where does that county stop?

  • From: "C. Michael Stinson" <cms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 20:37:38 -0500

Well, it seems that true county jurisdiction only goes out three miles, even
though state / national jurisdiction goes further. In a sense there is no
county "out there," say, 60 miles from shore, even if you are still "in"
Virginia in some sense. So I have been conservative in counting and simply
called those species "Virginia" birds and "pelagic" birds.

Also, on some of the pelagic trips I've been on, I wasn't always sure what
state I was in, much less what county (e.g. once out of Ocean City, MD, and
once or twice out of Virginia Beach, VA). Of course, most (nearly all?)
organized birding trips from Virginia Beach stay in Virginia waters, and we
could agree to count all those Virginia pelagics in Virginia Beach,
Northampton, or Accomack, as appropriate -- i.e. we could agree to list as
if the county extended out 200 miles (similar to what they do in
California).

It's not so much that I am opposed to the idea as that I have simply been
conservative to this point, not wanting to claim something on a county list
that I haven't really seen in the relevant area.

How's that?

CMS