[va_co_birding] Stafford County & City of Manassas

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA County Birds <va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:46:14 -0400

All,

Since it poured most of the day yesterday and I was unable to get out
and bird, I decided at the last minute to head out this morning and work
on my Stafford County list.  I headed for Aquia Landing hoping to find a
Marsh Wren.  I had no luck there but I did find a bunch of other stuff
along the roads in that area.  As a side note, you have to pay $6 to
enter Aquia Landing (as an out of county resident) and they don't open
until 10:00am.  I've been there before but I didn't remember that pesky
little detail.  I passed and just drove the roads in the area.  Best
birds in that area were many American Redstarts (I never knew they breed
along the river!), a flock of seven Mute Swans flying by, a single
Pied-billed Grebe, and a couple Prothonotary Warblers plus the usual
stuff you would expect to find breeding along the river although I
didn't hear any Yellow Warblers which surprised me a bit.

On the way home, I stopped off at the drainage ponds at Rt. 28/Rt.234
bypass in Manassas to see if the Ring-necked Ducks were still there.
They were indeed along with a Northern Rough-winged Swallow and two
Killdeer.  I drove around on the south side of Rt. 28 and found a wooded
backroad where I upped my Manassas list to 48.  Best bird was a hungry
Barred Owl sitting on a snag about 10 ft off the ground and about 10 ft
from the road.  It paid no attention to me even when I stopped and
gawked through my binoculars for about 10 minutes.  Must have been one
hungry bird.  I also spotted a soaring Cooper's Hawk.  Good day for
Manassas!

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org

va_co_birding is hosted by FreeLists. To change your settings or unsubscribe,
visit www.freelists.org  To post to the list (subscribers only), send email to
va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx