[va_co_birding] Ravens in Cumberland Co.

  • From: "C. Michael Stinson" <cms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:17:15 -0400

I was surprised this morning when I saw two Common Ravens flying south along SR
600 (Plank Rd.) in Cumberland County. It was my first record for the species in
that county, though I and others have seen them in Buckingham and Prince Edward
several times. This reminded me of Jeff Blalock's reports of seeing them in
Danville several times this spring and summer. Also that VARCOM recently
accepted a record from Kiptopeke....
This is another one of those distributional lines that we could watch, perhaps
- the SW-to-NE line along which ravens do/don't occur in Virginia. I think it
might be a line that is in the process of shifting - the ravens becoming
increasingly common well out on the piedmont. Certainly in some western states
they aren't limited to strictly mountainous areas. Any comments or supporting
observations?

Mike

va_co_birding is hosted by FreeLists. To change your settings or unsubscribe,
visit www.freelists.org  To post to the list (subscribers only), send email to
va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx