[va_co_birding] Next up:

  • From: BlkVulture@xxxxxxx
  • To: va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 15:18:29 EDT

Day.  Todd Day.  No relation to the fanatical county lister, Fenton Day.
Moved to Virginia in 1992, Prince William County.  I came from Massachusetts,
where there are counties, but no one pays attention to them.  Many people up
there don't actually know what county they live in, including my mother.  It's
all about cities and towns.

But I digress.  When I started birding in earnest in Virginia, it was mostly
Prince William, Loudoun and Fairfax County, with a heavy dose of Maryland.
About six years ago, I moved to Culpeper County, and a year or so after that,
my
interest in Maryland birding diminished.  I became very interested in
Fauquier County and Culpeper County, though Fauquier is where I do most of my
birding.  I'd always had a tentative plan that I would do something similar to
what
Mike had mentioned, which is bird in the adjacent counties to Culpeper,
particularly Madison, Orange, and Rappahannock (no offense, but there is
something
unappealing about Spotsylvania to me).  I've never truly followed up on that.

As for county listing, I never really embraced it until recently.  I always
thought the number of counties was overwhelming, and that the issue with the
cities was too murky to even deal with.  Originally I thought it best to lump
the cities into the counties that they sit in, but then Mike sent me his
thirteen (or however many) cities that make it impossible to do so.  That gives
us
134 jurisdictions to deal with, and it is indeed a bit overwhelming.

The only counties that I have substantial numbers in are Fauquier, Prince
William, Loudoun, and Fairfax, each with over 200 birds.  Culpeper,
Northumberland, Accomack, City of Virginia Beach, Stafford, and a couple others
I have over
100 in.  After that, it gets pretty weak.

I love the idea of seeing county listing in Virginia gain some popularity.  I
think a lot can be learned about this state in terms of bird distribution.

Cheers,

Todd