[va_co_birding] Amelia, Powhatan, Louisa & Hanover counties today

  • From: "C. Michael Stinson" <cms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:51:44 -0500

I tried to bird in the snow and rain today (17 March and I wasn't wearing
green), looking especially for ducks and winter sparrows. It was slow going
thanks to the weather, e.g., Amelia Lake (Amelia WMA) had one Horned Grebe,
three Pied-billed Grebes, one Ring-necked Duck, and three D-c Cormorants, and I
had to wipe the snow off my scope to see them.
But persistence paid off (sort of). My last stop was Northeast Creek Reservior
in Louisa County (right on US 33), where I found a Red-necked Grebe just as it
started getting dark. Nice bird, even if I already had Red-necked Grebe in
Louisa. I did add Savannah Sparrow in two counties, though.

Mike Stinson

Dillwyn, VA

va_co_birding is hosted by FreeLists. To change your settings or unsubscribe,
visit www.freelists.org  To post to the list (subscribers only), send email to
va_co_birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxx