[va-richmond-general] whippoorwills

  • From: Penny Reynolds <psreynolds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:31:14 -0400

Heard a chuck-wills widow this morning briefly around 5:30 AM. This is
the first time I have heard one in 8 years on my property, which is a
wooded lot  in Goochland on the Louisa county line. Bear Island has been
doing a lot of clear cutting in the vicinity in the last year, so the
birds are really moving - I am getting things I never used to hear or
see before. Ovenbirds are more  common here than formerly, but the wood
thrush seems to have taken it on the chin; usually I have had at least 3
nesting pairs, and this year only 1 singing male.  I have heard 2
whippoorwills singing almost nightly since the middle of May.
Unfortunately cowbirds are now showing up on my feeders, also a first.