[va-richmond-general] weekend on Eastern Shore

  • From: Tyler Turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richmond listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:19:20 -0500 (EST)

I spent the weekend on  Chincoteague Island.
The waters below the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel were as calm as a swimming
pool with no swimmers in it yesterday morning . From the passenger side  window
as a passenger in  a Jeeep Cherokee I got numerous views of  flocks of Scooter
and Scaup Duck species. There was one pair of Long Tail Ducks visible from the
island with the pier. The local birders there said Harelequins have not come
this winter. The last few months of very cold weather seems to have caused  all
the Snowy Egrets  to migrate out of Chincoteague and Assateauge for the winter.
 Northern Shoveler seemed to be the most common species visible this weekend on
the Refuge. Snow Geeese, Bufflehead, Tundra Swan. Pintail , and Ruddy Duck were
sen in small numbers. Yellow Rumped Warblers were everywhere on the Refuge.
I did see one Loon in the channel between Chincoteague and the mainland as we
were leaving this morning. Did not see it long enough to identify the species.

There were numerous sightings of groups of  Great Egrets along bodies of water
in Norfolk and Virginia Beach both days.

Yellow Rumped Warblers were in abundance on Chincoteague National Wildlife
Refuge . On the return trip to Richmond there were 8 tolerant of people Ruddy
Turnstones on the Bridge Tunnel  island with the pier.

Sincerely,

Tyler Turpin