[va-richmond-general] Re: va-richmond-general Digest V5 #180

  • From: larryrob@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:43:05 -0400

I don't know about hummers, but I do know that in some species, juveniles appear larger than their parents because of longer feathers. Comments are solicited

Larry Robinson

From: "Bob Siegfried" <rcs5701@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [va-richmond-general] Re: hummingbird feeders
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:11:50 -0400

Has anyone in Richmond tried using many feeders to attract lots of hummers
at one time? The battles that the hummer have over my one feeder is
amazing. Yesterday was particulary suprising. Two males were battling it
out, when one slamed in to the other, pinning him to a leaf on a bush. They
layed in the foliage for about 5 seconds, not moving, one with its bill
locked on the tail of the other. Then off they went again, mighty
gladiators.

I also have a female with the top of the head as pale as her breast. She is
a realtively large hummer, clearly larger than the males. Just a color
morph?

Bob Siegfried

End of va-richmond-general Digest V5 #180