[va-richmond-general] update on Northern saw-whet owls in Powhatan

  • From: Bob Reilly <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:22:15 -0500

May be winding down, but have now caught 8 saw-whet owls in Powhatan since Nov.
20th (including the 1st one that was a foreign recovery from Pennsylvania).
Nearly had a ninth owl last night but it
managed to fly out of the net before I could get to it.  None of the seven I've
banded were recaptured on subsequent nights, and half of the 8 owls captured
were adults.  This experience would appear
to settle any question of whether saw-whets move through this area.  Based on
the surprising success,  I plan to expand the operation next year, using more
than two nets and starting about Nov.1st.

Bob Reilly