[va-richmond-general] Re: unusual mammal in Goochland

  • From: <hoplerjrda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:07:40 -0300

I know that area. It's really not that far from a few creeks. I would
not rule out an otter. They are more common than most people realize.
Perhaps the angle/light made the tail look bushy from a distance?

>     According to the website, it was either a Long-tailed Weasel or
a Mink.
> Minks, however, are primarily aquatic or live near water. If there
was water
> near that area, I didn't see it. For anyone at all familiar with
Goochland,
> it was crossing Fairground Road, near Broad Street, not long after
you turn
> on to Fairground from Broad. Does anyone know if there is a pond
near there?
>     The animal wasn't in direct sunlight, but I didn't notice the
light
> coloring under the throat that seems easily visible on a Long-tailed
Weasel,
> and the LTW is not as heavy as a mink, and so wouldn't look as
"bushy" -
> especially not in the tail. It's also smaller than a mink. Minks are
> generally darker, though they can be brown. If there is no nearby
wetland,
> perhaps it was an escaped mink? Anyone know of any mink farms in
that area?
> The overall size and shape was right for a mink, even if the habitat
did not
> appear to be. It couldn't have been anything BUT a Mink or
Long-tailed
> Weasel. As I've said, I've never seen one, but as it crossed the
road, my
> first thought was, "What the heck is THAT??" as it was so different
in size
> and shape form other animals I HAVE seen, and knew it was the right
size and
> shape for some sort of mustelid. Thoughts, anyone?
>
> Michael

http://www.enature.com/partners/birdsandblooms/localguide/localguide_b
b_

display.asp?zipcode=23832&neuter=&showType=5&shapeName=&curGroupID=5&c
ur
> > FamilyID=547
> >

> > If you go to enature.com, enter your zip and look under mammals,
there
> > are photos  - these were listed for Chesterfield (link above, but
not
> > sure it will work...)- could be likely suspects!
> > Kathy Kreutzer
> > Chesterfield
> >

> > Northern River Otter
> > Lutra canadensis (Lontra canadensis)
> > Dark brown above; paler belly. Throat often silver gray. Ears and
eyes
> > small. Prominent whitish whiskers. Long tail thick at base,
gradually
> > tapering to a point. Feet webbed. Male larger than female. 35-52"
> > (889-1,313 mm); tail 11 7/8 -20" (300-507 mm).
> >

> > Long-tailed Weasel
> > Mustela frenata
> > Brown above; white to yellow below. Tail long, brown with black
tip.
> > Feet brownish. In Southwest, white on face. In north in winter,
fur
> > white except for black tail tip. Male about twice size of female.
11-22"
> > (280-550 mm); tail 3 1/8-6 3/8" (80-160 mm).
> >

> > Mink
> > Mustela vison
> > Sleek, with lustrous chocolate-brown to black fur; white spotting
on
> > chin and throat. Tail long, somewhat bushy. Male larger than
female. 19
> > 3/8"-28" (491-720 mm); tail 6 1/4-7 5/8" (158-194 mm).

Michael
> > Shapiro
> > Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 8:18 PM
> > To: Richmond listserv
> > Subject: [va-richmond-general] unusual mammal in Goochland
> >

> > Hi, all -
> >     While driving around Goochland at around 6pm, I saw some kind
of
> > mustelid (animals in the mink/otter/weasel family) cross the road.
It
va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field. To adjust other settings
> > (vacation, digest, etc.) please visit,
> > //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.
> >
> > You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send
email to
> > va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in
the
> Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.)
please
> visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.
> >

> You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send
email to
> va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
Subject field. To adjust other settings (vacation, digest, etc.)
please visit, //www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.

David A. Hopler Jr.
Fisheries Biologist
Dept. of Biology/ Center for Environmental Studies
Virginia Commonwealth University
1000 West Cary St. Room 041
Richmond, VA 23284-2012
(804) 827-0236