[va-richmond-general] Re: unusual mammal in Goochland

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:51:10 -0400

    According to the website, it was either a Long-tailed Weasel or a Mink.
Minks, however, are primarily aquatic or live near water. If there was water
near that area, I didn't see it. For anyone at all familiar with Goochland,
it was crossing Fairground Road, near Broad Street, not long after you turn
on to Fairground from Broad. Does anyone know if there is a pond near there?
    The animal wasn't in direct sunlight, but I didn't notice the light
coloring under the throat that seems easily visible on a Long-tailed Weasel,
and the LTW is not as heavy as a mink, and so wouldn't look as "bushy" -
especially not in the tail. It's also smaller than a mink. Minks are
generally darker, though they can be brown. If there is no nearby wetland,
perhaps it was an escaped mink? Anyone know of any mink farms in that area?
The overall size and shape was right for a mink, even if the habitat did not
appear to be. It couldn't have been anything BUT a Mink or Long-tailed
Weasel. As I've said, I've never seen one, but as it crossed the road, my
first thought was, "What the heck is THAT??" as it was so different in size
and shape form other animals I HAVE seen, and knew it was the right size and
shape for some sort of mustelid. Thoughts, anyone?

Michael