[va-richmond-general] unusual mammal in Goochland

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:17:45 -0400

Hi, all -
    While driving around Goochland at around 6pm, I saw some kind of mustelid
(animals in the mink/otter/weasel family) cross the road. It was long and
slender, low to the ground, golden brown (so it seemed from where I was) with a
long bushy tail. Does anyone know what mustelids live in Goochland that this
might describe? It was too long to be a cat or a groundhog/woodchuck (too
skinny for a woodchuck, too, and the tail wasn't right). Are there weasels in
Goochland? How about martens?
Michael
Short Pump