[va-richmond-general] trip to Smith Island MD

  • From: tyler turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:54:31 -0700 (PDT)

 I  have 3 people who have made firm commitments for the Saturday August 7th
trip to Smith Island Maryland. This will be at the beginning of Osprey,
shorebird , Laughing Gull and Tern migration .I need  at least 3 more  people
to make a firm commitment to make the trip a reality. I will give information
on how to make reservations once I know we have the 6 people. Please contact me
on the list serve or at tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx if interested. The three who
already said yes do not have to contact me again.

Smith Island is an island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland . It
is inhabited by several hundred people who live in three villages. It makes for
a great birding trip because the boat you take to get to the island passes by a
huge area of marsh that contains every species of heron , egret , and ibis found
in the area and gulls , terns , various passerine birds. Once on the island
there
is a free bus tour that takes you around the island and you get to see even more
marsh up close and often see shorebirds. Part of the island is a Federal
Wildlife
Refuge and the refuge has a visitors center . The island also has a visitor
center.
Bring a picnic lunch in a cooler or  bring some money and eat lunch in one of
the
three restaurants on the island. Someone may have connections to have a Nature
Conservancy
, Chesapeake Bay Foundation, MD. Dept. of Natural Resources or  U.S. Fish and
Wildlife
Service naturalist meet us at the island.
The  boat leaves a place near Reedville, VA at 10:30 am so get to the dock by
10.05 a.m and leaves Smith Island
at 3:30 PM.  The cost is 24.50 per person.  The boat runs Monday through
Saturday
on a regular schedule but reservations are required as the boat only carries 60
people but is big enough that you will not get sea sick.

Website of tour company is www.cruisetosmithisland.com

Here are the directions:

From Richmond, VA, take Rt. 360 East through Burgess, then turn left on the
Sunny Bank Road, follow for 2 miles then turn right on Campground Road  to KOA
Kampground at Reedville.  Driving time From Mechanicsville approximately 1 hr.
and 30 minutes.

From Washington, DC, follow Rt. 95 South to Fredericksburg, then Rt. 3 East
through Montross, turn left on Rt. 202 to Callao.  Rt. 202 ends at Callao and
becomes Rt. 3 which you will follow through Burgess.   Turn left on the Sunny
Bank Road, follow for 2 miles then turn right on Campground Road  to KOA
Kampground at Reedville.  Driving time approximately 2 hrs. 30 minutes.

From Baltimore, MD, follow Rt. 97 South to Rt. 301 South across the Potomac
River Bridge.  Take a  left on Rt. 3 East through Montross, turn left on Rt.
202 to Callao.  Rt. 202 ends at Callao and becomes Rt. 3 which you will follow
through Burgess.  Turn left on the Sunny Bank Road, follow for 2 miles then
turn right on Campground Road  to KOA Kampground at Reedville.  Driving time
approximately 3 hrs.

From Norfolk, VA, follow Rt. 17 North through Tappahannock, turn right on Rt.
360 East through Burgess. Turn left on the Sunny Bank Road, follow for 2 miles
then turn right on Campground Road  to KOA Kampground at Reedville.  Driving
time from Hampton Roads Tunnel approximately 2 hrs. and 30 minutes.