[va-richmond-general] redtail at Capitol?

  • From: Jacob Wegelin <jacobwegelin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 13:00:43 -0500 (EST)

2014-02-09 Sunday 12:55. About five minutes ago I observed a large raptor,
which looked to me like a redtail hawk, in a holly tree just north of the
Virginia State Capitol building.

It spent several minutes fluttering around inside the tree.  Something was
squeaking in the tree, presumably a squirrel and/or young squirrels. Several
tourists were watching and trying to photograph it.  I stood there for several
minutes until the tourists left and finally the raptor flew away to a nearby
leafless tree, where it perched.

It had the hefty body of a buteo, I think. When it flew, no red was visible on
the tail.

I never saw it get anything to eat in the holly tree. Its seeming aimlessness
and lack of success makes me wonder if it's a juvenile bird.

I'm curious what experienced birders think.

Thanks

Jacob Wegelin