[va-richmond-general] poss. GRSC and AMWI

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:45:29 -0500

    I hope I got those abbreviations right. Here are photos of the possible
Greater Scaup and American Widgeon. In the Scaup photo, the Grater appears to
be the one on the right, thought eh photo is rather grainy, as I have a zoom
lens, not an SLR, and it was taken at max zoom (48x). I have blown it up on my
computer and the differences don't seem to disappear. The one on the right
seems to have a flatter head, a more sloped area from the forehead to the tip
of the bill, a thicker head overall, and seems ever so slightly bigger (though
the last could be because of the way they are facing. I think the one on the
left is facing slightly more toward the camera).
    The possible Widgeon is harder to tell. It's facing away form the camera
and, while it doesn't look like any of the others I mentioned on the list, it's
really hard to tell if it's a Widgeon. The colors - such as they are - seem
about right. Amway, I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks about both
pics.

Don't DUCK your chance to ID! Come on and take a QUACK at it!

Michael Shapiro (The Pun King)
Richmond, VA