[va-richmond-general] of Sample Letter to Gov. Kaine for a Va Endangered Species Day

  • From: john roberts <zatbz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:57:50 +0000

A. Please write a letter to Governor Kaine to support a Virginia Endangered
Species Day!

congress has declared May 16, National ES Day. Below is a sample letter.
 One in Five bird species worldwide are at risk NOW and the list is growing.

B. Celebrate National ES DAy with local events - plan your own habitat
restoration, clean up, press release to media, educational program or outing.
etc.
More info at stopextinction.org

Again - we expect a response in as short as two weeks on this. 1.Background for
a Virginia "Endangered Species Day" Virginia is blessed with having a multitude
of species within its borders. The Commonwealth’s boundaries engage portions of
six major eco-regions, more than any other Eastern state. And southwest
Virginia encompasses part of a major biological "Hot Spot", one of only six in
the entire United States. Biodiversity in that region has many mussel, fresh
water fish, and salamander species.And off our shores, are found many marine
species both within the great Chesapeake Bay estuary, and in the Atlantic
Ocean. In fact, the sea side of the Eastern Shore has been designated as a
United Nations World Heritage Site, and lies in a portion of a proposed
National Marine Sanctuary. However, our state’s human population is growing
rapidly, and with this growth is coming an even more rapid loss of wildlife
habitat. Our country was the first to enact an "Endangered Species Act" under
the Nixon Presidency, in 1968 with strengthening in 1973. Since this federal
statute was passed, we have learned key information about both the threats to
species, and our reliance on species and biodiversity.  These worldwide threats
can be placed in five categories: 1. Pollution, including pesticides and global
warming gases, acid rain, and ozone depleting chemicals., 2. Invasive species,
including here in Virginia, the snakehead fish, English Ivy, Avian flu virus,
and Ailanthus, 3. The unsustainable overkilling of species hunted for human
consumption, 4. Habitat fragmentation, making it difficult for species to find
shelter, food, and mates, and most importantly, 5. Habitat loss. We have also
found that mankind now expropriates about a third of what is called Net Primary
Production. This means that we are now using a third of all organic matter
created on earth each year, through the power of sunlight and photosynthesis.
This requires a huge input of what we are called "Ecological Services", or the
benefits to mankind from biodiversity. These services include natural flood
control, de-toxification, and purification of soil, water, and air, controls on
the populations of pests and pathogens, pollination of flowers and crops,
maintenance of biodiversity, and natural climate regulation. Annual world
ecological services are estimated to be worth many times our yearly production
of goods and services. However, we are currently running up an ecological debt
in these services, a debt which must be paid by our children, and subsequent
generations. To erase this debt, we must be aware of our, "National Ecological
Product" which must be positive in both the U.S. and the world, for sustainable
human development to continue. With this background, our Congress has seen the
vital importance to humankind in the Endangered Species Act, and has, for the
last two years, designated a day in May, this year May 16 as National
Endangered Species Day.    2. Richmond Audubon Society Statement  Worldwide,
the IUCN endangered species listing indicates that one of every five species of
birds is in danger of becoming extinct in the near term (within a matter of
decades). In Virginia, we are particularly concerned with such species as the
Cerulean Warbler, Piping Plover, Wilson’s Plover, Upland Sandpiper, Gull-Billed
Tern, Henslow’s and Bachman’s Sparrows, Roseate Tern, Red-Cockaded Woodpecker,
Peregrine Falcon, Red Knot, and the Bald Eagle. Also, most bird species in the
U.S. are in decline. We are planning several projects around the May 18, 2008
date, including:1. Removal of invasive plant species, and restoration of open
prairie type habitat at Presquile, part of the James River National Wildlife
Refuge, just south of Richmond on May 17,2. Educational materials and other
public information about the importance of endangered species and of
biodiversity in general for schools, media and the public.     3. Sample Letter
 March     , 2008 Dear Governor of Virginia, the Honorable Tim Kaine, I am
writing you to ask that you proclaim May 16, Virginia’s Endangered Species Day,
a day which will coincide with the official United States Endangered Species
Day, as proclaimed in law by Congress for the past two years. We hope that this
will become a permanent federal and state Endangered Species Day.  The
accompanying background statement explains the rationale for this proposal, and
for the actions which we will take to make sure Virginia’s ESA day is
successful in communicating with Virginians the importance, and indeed,
essential need, for species and biodiversity protection. From the hurricane
Hugo floods which impacted places like Honduras more severely because of
deforestation, to Hurricane Katrina which impacted the Gulf coast more severely
because of coastal habitat destruction, to issues like global warming, and the
five problems for species mentioned in the enclosed statement, we citizens need
to become more aware of the consequences of our actions which negatively impact
the biosphere. Indeed, we must become vigilant in protecting Earth and all
life, if our children are to dwell on a planet which can sustain them.We also
would encourage the Commonwealth to also participate in this educational
process. Let me conclude with a few thoughtful quotes: "The evolution of the
world is a great manifestation of God. As scientists understand more and more
about the interdependence not only of living things but of rocks, rivers, - the
whole of the universe - I am left in awe that I too, am part of this tremendous
miracle." - Bishop Desmond Tutu, ca. 2000. "A child’s world is fresh and new
and beautiful, full of wonder and excitement. ...If I had influence with the
good fairy who is supposed to preside over the christening of all children, I
should ask that her gift to each child in the world be a sense of wonder so
indestructible that it would last throughout life..." Rachael Carson ca. 1960.
"Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he
does to the web, he does to himself." Chief Seattle, ca. 1900, (One translation
of his famous speech.). Thank you for your time, Sincerely,   [End of sample
letter] Here is my info:
John M. Roberts 804  329-6879
3205 A Chamberlayne Ave.
Richmond Va 23227-4806
fax 200-1428 ( separate location 2 miles away)

For general information: I only check e mail once a week at best. Please
telephone me for fastest responses.