[va-richmond-general] Re: new to the list

  • From: Kirk Andrews <kirkaandrews@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:18:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Al,

Thanks for your note. As I mentioned, I'm still fairly new to birding,
so let me go ahead and lay out my analysis of the bird I saw.

I was able to quickly rule out the Black and Turkey Vultures as I had
seen both earlier in the day. This bird was considerably larger (body,
wingspan and wing width) and flew with more stable and controlled
motions than the vultures. I can definitely say I was looking at an
eagle and not a vulture.

As you pointed out, it could have been a juvenile Bald Eagle. I
considered this as I watched the bird. I got some pretty good looks at
both the top and bottom of the bird as it glided. The primary color was
a dark, chocolate color. But there were splotchy, cream colored (not
white) patches throughout the top and bottom of the bird's plumage.
When comparing it to my Sibley's guide, it looked almost exactly like
the 2nd year Golden Eagle.

The main thing I struggled with was the bird's range map, which you
also alluded to.

I'd love to hear if anyone else out there has seen a bird like this
down at Dutch Gap. I remain excited about the sighting, but the range
map definitely introduces a degree of uncertainty that it was a Golden
Eagle.

Thanks for your help,

Kirk