[va-richmond-general] motivation of the Black Vulture, etc.

  • From: "katya" <katya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 07:34:42 -0500

Still thinking of the Black Vulture, I remember quite some time ago reading
about the behaviors of Crows, probably in Konrad Lorenz' fabulous book "King
Solomon's Ring."  He observed that if you waved a piece of black cloth (say, a
black t-shirt) within sight of Crows they would attack the person evidently
seeing the black cloth as one of their own.  (Conversely, he may have written
something about wearing black clothes, but I may be extrapolating.)  The Black
Vultures are going after black "rubber" (or whatever it is) on the cars and
boats. I wonder what it is that they perceive or think they perceive.  And
whether it is relevant or not, does anyone know what they do with their own
dead? (This book I am mentioning is a really good read for anyone interested in
the behavior of wild birds.)

Al, yes, I did receive my own e-mail and was delighted to see that I hadn't
gotten lost again.  It is conceivable that we may have briefly seen each other
on Saturday.  More likely, we might remember each other from the Auction if you
were there.  Yes, I recently joined Audubon.  I very much enjoy receiving "The
Thrasher" and think this seems like a very nice group.

Sent via the WebMail system at earthtones.com