[va-richmond-general] loons at university of Richmond lake

  • From: leeanna pletcher <thebuttons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Audubon Richmond <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 12:41:58 -0500

For the past 2 days, I have seen 6 loons at the University of Richmond lake.
I thought they "must be" common loons, but they reminded me of a merganser
and I noticed some brownish red on their necks. They kept diving and I didn't
get
great looks either time, plus I didn't have my binoculars or field guide.
If anyone one is over in the area, would you see if those are common loons
or red-throated loons. There might be some of each too, since there were 6
birds.
The bills looked whitish too, and other field marks threw me off, but I am
leaning towards
red-throated loons.
Leeanna