[va-richmond-general] late Chestnut-sided Warbler

  • From: "Paul Bedell" <pbedell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond birding" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 13:40:52 -0500

I just observed a female Chestnut-sided Warbler in my yard!  I first heard a
vaguely familiar chip note earlier while out  raking leaves, but was unable to
find the bird so I knew there was something interesting around.  Then I later
saw this bird with my binocs from a distance of about 20 feet while it foraged
low in a Holly sapling.  Unmarked whitish-gray undersides, bright yellow-green
uppersides, white eye-ring, wingbars.  And that distinctive foraging manner and
posture that a Chestnut-sided does but that I can't describe.

Paul Bedell
chesterfield county