[va-richmond-general] killdeer hatchlings and a heron question

  • From: Kirk Andrews <kirkaandrews@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:33:06 -0700 (PDT)

My wife and I now have 4 new killdeer hatchlings running all over our
yard out in Gum Spring. They hatched on Friday afternoon. It's fun to
watch them appear from underneath their parents, scatter, and then
return to mom and dad to warm up or to hide from a loud noise that has
startled them.

Regarding the heron: I have a window-facing desk up on the 6th floor of
my office building which is near Innsbrook. Last summer, a small heron,
and sometimes 2 small herons, flew by my window on multiple occasions.
Today I saw one again for the first time this year. Typically, my view
has been from 15-30 yards away. From what I can tell, the heron is a
slate gray color on both its wings and body, but I've been unable to
get a good look at its head. It appears different than green herons
I've observed. Is it possible that this is a night heron, and if so,
which one would be most likely?

Thanks!

Kirk