[va-richmond-general] Re: hummingbird at lewis Ginter

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond listserv'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:07:53 -0500

Al and Listserv,

Caroline Coe and I had good looks at the hummingbird, and Penny Reynolds had glimpse of it in flight today. After getting home and consulting my books, I think the bird may have actually been an adult female Rufous. In Sibley, anyway, the juvenile male has a lot more rufous in the tail, back and head than the bird we observed, and the juvenile female as pictured has no red in the throat.

Looking forward to hearing of further observations!

Lewis

--
Lewis Barnett -- Chair, Dept. of Math & CS, U. of Richmond, VA 23173
             -- lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx | lbarnett@xxxxxxx