[va-richmond-general] Re: general feeder question, ecological comments

  • From: "Chris Terrell" <cterrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 13:40:25 -0400

        I understand this is an Audubon list first and everything else second,
so
I'll throw in a birding observation before replying to Michael's thoughtful
comments.

        In the past few weeks consumption at my feeders has skyrocketed.
Normally
I would burn through a 25lb bag of sunflower in a few months, now it takes a
few weeks.  Many of my feeders are being completely emptied within a day.
And suet?  Over a block a day.  Have others on the list experienced similar
results, and if so, why?  I've experienced highs and lows at the feeder
before, but I feel like I'm in record territory these days.  I only wish I
could get a good photo of the cardinal courtship ritual (male feeds female,
looks like a kiss).  No doubt Rich will soon...

The usual suspects (ranked from favorite to less-so)

Red-headed Woodpecker (he's magnificent)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Cardinal
Carolina Wren
American Goldfinch
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Blue Jay
White-breasted Nuthatch
Northern Mockingbird
Chipping Sparrow
Gray Catbird
Mourning Dove
House Finch
Common Grackle
European Starling

        Regarding solar panels, I do hope there is an incentive (tax break,
etc.)
to install these in homes over time.  Solar provides an excellent
supplement, unfortunately the return on investment takes a lot of time and
it is not a stand-alone replacement for conventional heating and electrical
needs.
        Regarding agriculture - corn for ethanol and soybeans for biodiesel -
there
are hidden costs that have to be factored in.  Most commercial agriculture
in the US relies heavily on both fertilizer and pesticide.  While this is a
justified cost of doing business, there is the problem of runoff into the
watershed.  I am generally in favor of agricultural supplements and
replacements for traditionally refined gasoline, however there is a cost to
be factored with any method of generating power - particularly for internal
combustion engines.  My hope is that the leadership at the Federal level
will pursue alternate energy sources more aggressively.  It is interesting
that President Bush (not particularly popular with the environmental crowd)
toured a New Kent biodiesel plant on the 16th to help promote the emerging
industry.  Whether you consider it sincere or lip-service, it was certainly
a new development.  Below is a link to the story.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-18017sy0may17,0,2985439.story?coll=dp-head
lines-topnews