[va-richmond-general] Re: cormorants

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <plmhp@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:54:28 -0400

The idea here is that RAS needs to move more toward citizen science and not
just general birding. We all love and enjoy birding, but if we neglect to
actively work at conservation of habitat and bird species there won't be any of
our favorite birds in a few decades. It wouldn't hurt to learn just a few of
the codes of the birds we see frequently. Those who do that will have an easier
time when they take that course in bird survey work, so they can be part of the
solution instead of simply partaking in the experience of birding. The banding
codes are necessary to make it possible to do what you need to do when
performing a survey. And the surveys produce information needed to assess the
status of the species.

One of the main ideas we heard 2 years ago at Hog Island, Maine, when we
attended the Audubon Leadership workshop there was for each chapter to find a
project and use it for their focus. We learned that there was one Audubon club
in Florida that picked a project involving restoration of habitat for nesting
shorebirds, terns and gulls. They made that project the focus of their club,
including field trips, meetings, newsletter, etc. They are still working on the
project, but the land was taken over by the city and set aside for preservation
of the birds. Now there are many species surviving that would not if it wasn't
for their efforts.

We  are starting down the same path here with all the work we do at Presquile,
JRP, MAPS, etc., but only a small percentage of us do anything in that regard.
It will take people making a committment, and griping about the use of banding
codes is not helpful. Those are necessary in survey work. Since more people are
needed it seems to be rather appropriate to introduce the use of banding codes
so people will be exposed to them.

What's the big problem with using EABL instead of Eastern Bluebird? That
doesn't seem that hard, does it? Just learn one a day for a few weeks and
you've got it! Check out the link that Jim Blower sent. It has all the banding
codes for all the birds in the world.

Maybe, if you are against the use of banding codes you are saying you don't
want to be involved. You just want to enjoy your birds. You don't want to give
that impression, do you?

Al