[va-richmond-general] black vulture over Shockoe Creek?

  • From: Jacob Wegelin <jacobwegelin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 21:49:21 -0500 (EST)

Today at about 16:25, at least four raptors were soaring over Shockoe
Valley (approximately over Bank Street and 15th Street). I had always assumed
this very common sight was turkey vultures, Cathartes aura. They had the
low V-shaped wingspan that I always thought was indicative of turkey
vultures. But two of them (the ones I got the best look at) had prominent very white "hands" in their wingtips. These white spots looked as big as the
large hand of a large human being.

Am I correct in thinking that these are probably black vultures Coragyps
atratus?

In addition to the white "hands", they seemed to be flapping more than
turkey vultures usually do.

Am I correct in thinking that the vultures over Shockoe Valley usually
are TVs, though?

Thanks

Jacob Wegelin