[va-richmond-general] birding by ear

  • From: ben saunders <betsyben@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:33:37 -0400

Last Sunday in Monterey at the Bevredge's feeder, Ben and I watched a
starling as it mimicked a bluebird, a chickadee, a robin and a Baltimore
Oriole. Boy was he good!  Had I not been watching his little beak move, I
would have ticked off five birds, four of which were not there.  It  made
us remember the starling in Cape Charles who did a perfect "Bob White"
and the White Eyed Vireo that doubled as a catbird. It also made us
question the reliability of birding by ear, especially for folks like me
who aren't all that good in the first place. From now on I'll try to
remember:  If the bird sounds too good to be true, it might be a
starling.

Betsy Saunders