[va-richmond-general] Re: bird song article on npr

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:27:00 -0400

Do you know what bird goes DCFGHIBEDIGCDFGHIABCEDFGCHIABEG... ?

The answer is - the Hermit Thrush. Or at least that is the symbolism Don
Kroodsma, (the person who is highlighted in the story at Kristi's URL)
gives to his song. Each letter represents a songlet; for example, G
sounds like "hey, didla deedle-deedle-deedle-deedle". And in case you
don't understand what I mean by that, in his book that is described in
Kristi's URL, he has a CD which has all these songs in it, along with
frequency graphs in the book.

To me the book is well written and shows quite a bit of work by Don on
these bird songs. He is attempting to find the alphabet and words of
these species; for example, BED is a word in the Hermit Thrush's
vocabulary, or at least it seems this combination of songlets occurs
often.

Now I find that Don has gone all over the country hunting down these
birds and recording these sounds. This is a good book.

Jim Blowers