[va-richmond-general] Re: bird bath

  • From: "Linda Stoneham" <lstoneham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nkroll156@xxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:26:14 -0400

I have used one that looked like copper, a pretty expensive one that came
from one of the bird stores. After a while, the "copper" came off because it
was just a coating. The feeder looked pretty mottled and ugly. Make sure
whatever you buy, it is not just a coated metal, but solid all the way
through. I suspect a squirrel did the damage to your bird bath; I've had
that problem before. What I found with the metal feeder is that the feeder
didn't get too hot if it was filled with water because the water helped to
release the heat. Same in winter; the water gets cold, yes, and freezes just
like it would in a concrete bath, but the freezing doesn't crack the metal
like it does something more porous like ceramic or concrete