[va-richmond-general] Re: barred owls

  • From: JRiverPk@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:33:12 EDT

Irene
       The dog issue is contentious ... and controversial.  One of the
ammenities of urban life is that we have plentiful, accessible and convenient
park
land.  One of the features of our natural area parks is that pets are
permitted.  (This is differentiates them from the traditional English Garden
parks --
those with expanses of grass and a few spreading shade trees --- where children
roll on the ground or families lay blankets out on the ground and where
contact with dog waste is a public health issue.)
       Although pets are expected to be kept under control at all times ---
and the best way to do this is by keeping them on leash --- the truth is that
many pet owners let their dogs go off lead at times "to let them stretch their
legs"... to enable them to fetch sticks from the river ... to allow them to
trot alongside a jogger, etc.  If there is a conflict with another park
visitor,
with another dog, or with any wildlife, the onus for control (and for the
cost of any damages) lies squarely on the shoulders of the owner who had the
pet
off-leash.
       Of course, the problem is enforcement.  We have very little.  We have
no routine police patrols (and none of any sort on the back trails) whle the
DGIF Game Wardens focus their attentions on the river and shoreline areas.  By
process of elimination, the Park Manger is the only government representative
left to enforce the law.  It is enforced by inspecting for the presence of a
leash.  Any visitor with a dog, but without a leash, is asked to turn around
and leave.  Sometimes they are escorted out.
       The park is a public space to which all residents are encourged to
visit.  Dog walkers are as welcome as photographers; birdwatchers as welcome as
mountain bikers.  Although there are inevitable conflicts between different
user groups -- whitewater boaters cross over fishermen's lines; high-speed
users
like runners and bikers interrupt the pace and pleasure of low speed users
like wildflower enthusiasts and wildlife watchers -- we must ultimately all
learn
to get along.  It involves communication ... and compromise.
       If  an unleashed dog frightens you, yell out to the owner and tell
him, or her, so.  Demand that the dog be put under immediate phyical control.
If
you are particularly sensitive about this issue, then carry one of those
containers of pepper spray -- Fed Ex drivers and postmen al do.  If the dog
jumps
up on you, spray him.  If the dog is harassing wildlife, throw a rock or a big
stick at him ... and speak to the owner. If there is  a problem, call me.  If
its a big thing and you go to court, I will go with you.
...But the truth is that we seem to be doing pretty well, so far. User groups
tend to stratefy by time slot ... birders earlier / dog walkers later.  We
should be able to share the same beautiful resource.   with understanding and
forebearance we all can get along.  And, in the end, we must, if we are to have
the JRPS be a vital and continuing asset to the City.
       Ralph