[va-richmond-general] Re: barred owls

  • From: JRiverPk@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:05:42 EDT

Al
       I agree with your comments and suggestions.  It is a very good step to
begin with the Audubon Board ... and then underwriting the cost of
appropriate signage.  It is certainly not an easy problem because the quick fix
of "more
law enforcement" isn't going to work and the core issue at stake is
developing a civil and courteous, caring and careful, society. You don't beat
people
into acting this way; they  choose to do so because they see the benifits ....
       This over-all issue is going to manefest itself in several new ways.
The biggest, on the near horizon, is the potential destruction of the entire
"rural ambiance" of the river through Richmond.  We already see the tearing of
the vegetative curtain that divides the river and its adjacent natural lands
from the streets and houses of the urban envirnment.  The biggest change is the
proposed construction of 2 apartment house towers,17 stories tall, between
the Powhite Parkway and the Atlantic-Coastline R.R. Bridge ont he north side of
the river.  This will utterly destroy the sense of
"escape-from-the-city-inside-of-the-city" that eists in the space between Pony
Pasture and Belle Isle.
Now there's an issue where we need to band together and put up a fight!
       Best wishes,
                Ralph