[va-richmond-general] barred owl

  • From: Lynda Perry <lyndafleet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Madden FreeLists.org" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 10:28:02 -0400

Hello,

I am a lurker who enjoys reading the posts very much, but wanted to share today
an encounter my daughter and I had walking at dusk last evening in our
neighborhood, Hobby Hill Farms. We were walking past a wooded area and heard a
low cooing noise, "hoooo," looked up in time to see a crow fly off, then we saw
the owl. He was only about six feet away, not very high up, looking straight at
us. We stared at each other a few seconds then he flew off a bit farther away
but still in plain sight. He made his hooting call to us, dipping his head and
hunching his shoulders, and we waited a bit and called back to him in
imitation. We went back and forth like this for several minutes. He had this
really cute way of puffing up and dipping his head and swaying just before
calling to us. We were quite charmed!!

On the same walk we heard a kingfisher, saw a great blue heron, swifts over the
lake, cardinals, bluebirds, and met a gregarious rufus towhee who let us come
quite close as he scratched in mulch and paused occasionally to sing.

Lynda PerryYou are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send
email to